The Important Certifications for Non-Toxic and Organic Baby Crib Mattresses

What are the standards for organic mattresses? What certifications should you look for in an organic or non-toxic baby mattress? These are the questions that come across every parents when shopping for a baby mattress for the first time.  It's essential to understand the various certifications that indicate the mattress not only meets strict organic or non-toxic standards but also safety standards, creating a safe and healthy sleeping environment for your baby. These certifications ensure that the mattress is made with organic and non-toxic materials and has undergone rigorous testing to ensure its safety and quality. High-quality mattresses will typically have one or several of the following certifications:

List of Recognized Certifications for Non-Toxic and Organic Baby Mattresses

Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS)

This is a well-known certification and labeling system for textiles made from organic materials. It's all about making sure that when you see the word "organic" on a textile product, it actually lives up to certain high standards. This involves using at least 95% of the certified organic fibers, and the remaining 5% must also meet rigorous environmental and social criteria.

OEKO-TEX Standard 100

While the certification doesn't certify materials as organic, the certification system primarily focuses on the safety of textiles and their components, particularly with regard to their potential impact on human health. It assesses and restricts the use of harmful substances in textiles, including chemicals, colorants, and finishes.

The Key Difference Between OEKO-TEX Standard 100 and Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS)

The main focus of OEKO-TEX Standard 100 is to ensure that textiles are safe for people and do not harm human health. In contrast, the GOTS has a wider range of concerns, including promoting organic and sustainable practices in textile production, taking environmental factors into account, and addressing social responsibility.

Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS)

It specifically applies to mattresses made with organic latex. GOLS ensures that the latex used in the mattress is sourced from organic rubber trees and processed without the use of harmful chemicals. Any parents in the market for latex bedding products, should keep an eye out for the GOLS certification. It's a helpful way to find products that meet high organic and sustainability standards.


This certification ensures that products, which have been tested for chemical emissions, are safe for your indoor air quality. When a mattress earns Greenguard Certification, it means the mattress meets specific standards for low emissions of potentially harmful chemicals, particularly volatile organic compounds (VOCs).

Rainforest Alliance

If a mattress contains natural rubber or latex, this certification guarantees sustainable and ethical sourcing practices.


The MADE SAFE certification covers a wide range of consumer products, including baby mattress. The goal is to provide consumers with greater confidence that the products they purchase have been carefully screened for safety, thereby reducing exposure to potential contaminants, heavy metals, and other harmful substances. 


Final Thoughts on Your Baby Mattress Purchase Decision

Finding the right baby mattress that meets all your criteria will definitely require hours and hours of research. It's worth noting that different mattresses may have various combinations of the certifications listed, depending on the materials they use and how they're made. While it's important to pay attention to these certifications to ensure that the mattress addresses your health and safety concerns for your baby, the place of manufacturing is equally important. You can rest assured that mattresses from reputable brands with the labels "Made in Canada" or "Made in the USA" have met the quality and safety standards that consumers expect.

Explore the Top Rated Organic Crib Mattresses that are Made in Canada or Made in the USA!


Back to blog
  • Are Organic Baby Crib Mattresses Worth It?

    The Truth Revealed – A Must-Read for Every Parent!

  • The Important Certifications for Non-Toxic and Organic Baby Crib Mattresses

  • Canada's Baby Brands I Made in Canada Brands